Just a few months after bashing bitcoin for its enhanced volatility and supposed impracticality, Bank of America has reportedly set up a new designated research team to look into digital assets.
- Citing an internal memo, Bloomberg reported earlier that the giant US multinational investment bank is the next in line to join the cryptocurrency bandwagon.
- According to the coverage, Bank of America has already established a new dedicated team to research cryptocurrencies.
- Although few details are known as of now, Bloomberg said Alkesh Shah will be at the forefront of the new endeavor. He will report to Michael Maras – currently leading fixed-income, currencies, and commodities research at the bank.
“Cryptocurrencies and digital assets constitute one of the fastest-growing emerging technology ecosystems. We are uniquely positioned to provide thought leadership due to our strong industry research analysis, market-leading global payments platform, and our blockchain expertise.” – the memo purportedly reads.
- A spokeswoman from the bank confirmed the news but failed to provide more details about the project.
- This development could go in the growing in popularity “change of heart” category as the Wall Street behemoth has bashed the cryptocurrency industry for years.
- Most recently, just a few short months ago, a paper published by the bank called bitcoin “too volatile and impractical.” Furthermore, the document asserted that the primary cryptocurrency had failed as a store of value.
- Now, though, BofA seems to be joining other giant US banks with this significantly more favorable approach.
- As previously reported, Morgan Stanley enabled its institutional investors to receive BTC exposure through several funds. Another former critique – Goldman Sachs – even filed for a Bitcoin ETF, while JPMorgan – whose CEO called Bitcoin a “fraud” years ago – will reportedly launch an actively managed BTC fund.
Binance Futures 50 USDT FREE Voucher: Use this link to register & get 10% off fees and 50 USDT when trading 500 USDT (limited offer).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to get 50% free bonus on any deposit up to 1 BTC.